DSA FAQFormerly the Driving and Vehicle Standards Agency, the Driving Standards Agency (DSA) is a government department providing a range of services and examinations to test both the driving skills of individuals and the integrity of vehicles. From theory test practice papers to vital safety checks to undertake when buying a second hand car, the DSA has plenty of helpful advice and information available. Detailed below are four popular FAQ which the DSA contact number receives. 

Can I Book My Driving Test Online?

When you are ready to take your driving test, a slot can be booked online through the DVSA website. To complete the process successfully, you will need your driving licence number and a debit or credit card. Note that as well as booking a driving test, you can also reschedule an existing test, book a motorcycle riding test and also book in for the essential driving theory test.

Can I Take My Theory Test Online?

Although you can book your theory test online, you need to attend a registered test centre to actually undertake the test. If you can’t find one near you or have any other special requirements which should to be taken into consideration when taking the theory test, there is a helpline number on the DVSA website which you can ring for further information and advice. Remember that you will need to have successfully passed your driving theory test before booking a test date or an appointment for a motorcycle riding test.

Does the DSA Cover MOT Certificate Validity?

There is a handy checker on the DSA website which enables you to determine if a vehicle has a current MOT certificate. This is extremely useful if you are buying a second hand car, as you can quickly determine whether it has been certified at an official test centre. To find out the MOT status and mileage of a vehicle, you will need the log book and/or the MOT test number.

What is a Vehicle Identify Check?

When an insurance company writes off a vehicle after a crash, it is issued with a Vehicle Identity Check (VIC) marker. If you buy a car with a VIC marker, it will need to be put through a special test (the VIC test) to determine if it is safe and roadworthy. This can be done through the DSA (formerly the Driving Standards Agency) by using the vehicle’s registration number.